September 21, 2012

moments

i couldn't put my pants on. after spending the day floating on a raft in (what felt like) the middle of the ocean, without sunscreen, i got sunburned. my thighs were as red as a beat and on fire so i had decided it just wasn't worth it. but after a few nudges from jeffrey and some giggles from hazel, i bit the bullet and pulled them on. we stepped out the door and the delicious hawaiian air filled my lungs. jeff pulled hazel up on his shoulders and we walked down the long driveway, across the road and onto sunset beach. i kicked my flip flops off into some bushes and felt the warm sand between my toes. jeff dropped to his knees as hazel wriggled out of his arms, and they started playing in the sand. i watched the sun slowly move closer and closer to the water and eventually sat down. i began to bury my feet in the sand just as hazel found her way onto my lap. she flashed that gummy smile of hers up at me and i turned to jeff to see that same cheesy (but less gummy) smile looking back at me. 

there are moments in life that change you. moments that leave you with such clarity that all you want to do, or even can do, is be better. 

this was one of those moments. and i will cherish it forever.


3 comments:

ayley said...

"there are moments in life that change you. moments that leave you with such clarity that all you want to do, or even can do, is be better."

that right there. that is amazing.

Ashley said...

ah such a good post. love moments like this!

kellichristinecase said...

the best post ever. write more!